Take a look at Potluck’s Contributors
Our goal here at Potluck Media is to bring you facts, analysis, and commentary from voices across the state about issues that Iowans care about. We post stories of Iowans who are struggling to find COVID-19 testing, reflections on Iowa politics and policies, and articles from leaders like State Representative Ruth Ann Gaines.
Want to join the potluck?
We are looking for diverse voices to be on camera, mic, or pen sharing their stories and opinions about current events, sports, entertainment and more. Grab a plate.
Ruth Ann Gaines
State Representative Ruth Ann Gaines of Des Moines serves Iowa’s 32nd House District and is the Chair of the Legislative Black Caucus. Before being elected to the legislature, Rep. Gaines taught for 40 years at East High School, and has recently finished up her 50th year teaching at DMACC. She is the recipient of many awards, including:
• 2020 Iowa Democratic Party’s We The People Award as a Member of Black Caucus
• 2020 Progress Iowa’s Harkin Hero Award as a Member of Black Caucus
• 2020 Herbert Hoover Foundation’s Herbert Hoover Uncommon Public Service Award
• 2019 Des Moines Business Record’s Sages Over 70 Award
• 2018 Interfaith Alliance Joy Corning Public Leader Award as a member of the Democratic Women of the Iowa House of Representatives
• 2018 Banker’s Trust Black History Month Honoree
• 2018 DSM Magazine Feature Article
• 2018 Wallace Winkie Lifelong Learner Hall of Fame
• 2018 NAACP Community Activist Award
• 2017 DAWN’s List Barbara Boatwright Award
• 2015 I’ll Make Me a World in Iowa Award
Matt Sinovic is the executive director of Progress Iowa, a progressive advocacy group with an online network of more than 75,000. Working side by side with partners in Iowa and across the country, Matt and the Progress Iowa team stand up for working families and to make sure that everyone has equal rights under the law.